Thursday, April 16, 2009

I Goddamn Miss Holden Caulfield

At the moment, I'm listening to Explosion in the Sky's album All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone. I have just come across the band last night, and have been an avid fan since then. I just downloaded all of their songs, which is a rare thing for me because I'm really a picky person when it comes to music. Yes, they're that good. Explosion in the Sky's music takes hold of you and flies you to the heavens. They're so awesome they are the only ones my ears have been listening to ever since I woke up. They are now officially in my heroes list.
Explosion in the SKy is what made me miss Holden Caulfield. Their album, the one I'm listening to right now, is said to be based from The Catcher in the Rye. Hence the title, All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone, which is basically a tl;dr (too long; didn't read) of the awesome conclusion of the novel. The songs' titles in the album also match the themes of the Catcher in the Rye like chaos in society, natural fear, loneliness, etc.
Having been reminded of the Catcher in the Rye, coupled with Explosions in the Sky, made me miss Holden Caulfield. I found pleasure in having him as a friend. I always enjoyed him narrating, plus I could really relate to him. My life is a homage to his. I gladly supported his ideas, especially the quote that the more prestigious a school is, the more crooks it has, as well as his dream of being a catcher in the rye. I have always pictured myself in the future saving lives.
Holden Caulfield's journey in New York - especially when he goes half-crazy and runs amok - is something I could imagine myself doing if everything just turned in favor of a mental breakdown. Back in 2nd Year, I even planned of taking a stroll around Taguig City because I was so lonely at that time.
I miss Holden Caulfield. I guess he's my Edward Cullen. I'm feeling a bit lonely at the moment, even though I'm chatting with my friends - it's rather a pseudo-loneliness brought about by Explosion in the Sky's music and my remembrance of Holden Caulfield. I'll probably reread the Catcher in the Rye again, just to meet him again. He's not the best guy around, but he's the person I could most relate to.

1 comment:

  1. Weee!

    Pls. claim your award..
    http://kwesifriends.blogspot.com/2009/04/award-super-comments-award-and-2009.html

    ReplyDelete